Thursday, June 28, 2012

Fantasy OFCC 2012 - The Tale of Awesome, Part 1


This years OFCC for Fantasy has come and gone.  I had a great time as I would have expected.  For those who are unaware of what OFCC is, it stands for the Ordo Fanaticus Club Challenge.  They hold two every year, one for Warhammer Fantasy and one for Warhammer 40,000.  While this does qualify as a huge event due to the fact that there are well over 80 people playing, it is not a tournament.  The best way to describe OFCC is a tournament for hobbyists.  The event took place on June 23 & 24 at the Red Lion Hotel at the Quay in Vancouver, WA.  They had a nice convention center area that could house a room full of gamers for a weekend.

The event is designed for every person who is entered to get five games over the weekend.  The Ordo Fanaticus spans from Oregon to Idaho all the way up to Vancouver, BC and OFCC is a way for all the gaming clubs to get together and have fun once a year.  My gaming club, Team Tourettes (I know clever name), spends the entire year after OFCC collecting and painting  (and scheming) the next army we are going to play.  Last year I played my illustrious Wood Elves and went 4-1, this year I played my nefarious Beastmen and again went 4-1.  While I seriously doubt I'll go 4-1 with Bretonnians next year, I fully intend on having fun regardless!

I will briefly recap what my opponents took and my five games (during OFCC) and the three I played outside the event.  If I attempt to battle report all 8 games this will be the longest blog post of all time so I will just summarize and if anything super special happened I'll mention it.  I had a total of 8 games over the weekend plus two more on Wednesday night (6/28) for a total of 10 games in a week.  I think it's safe to say I am all Warhammered out!

We will be doing a full recollection of our games and the weekend on Episode 17 of The Deployment Zone podcast.

The list I brought was detailed in the previous post where I chose to bring 2800 points of Beastmen.  That list can be found here.

Game 1 - The Five Coins.
Opponent: Matt Harrison of Da Mommas Boyz
Army: Warriors of Chaos
Game Results: Loss 

This match up had five coins spread evenly across the center of the board and the objective was to collect all five coins.  My opponent was Matt Peterson who brought Warriors of Chaos.  I enjoyed Matt's army, he had a fully themed Slaanesh army complete with Chaos Lord on a boob worm.  He brought a variety of models, some chariots, spawns, knights, marauders etc..  The game was going remarkably well for both of us, we had been dealing a fair bit of damage to each other until the top of the 5th turn where I failed not one but four charges and left myself stranded and out of position in the center of the board.

Matt, being  the excellent general that he is, rolled me up like a carpet from the flank with his Chaos Knight bus and that was game.  I ended up with a loss for the first game!

Matt also won my Favored Opponent pin for the event.  It helps to start drinking early with your opponent after a game!

Game 2 - Master Mage
Opponent: Chris Zakel of Da Mommas Boyz
Army: Beastmen
Game Results: Win

This match up provided Loremaster to one wizard in your army and a casting bonus of +1 per rank up to +3.  So my Great Bray Shaman was casting spells at +7.  I played against Chris Zakel who was fielding a pretty awesome Beastmen list with Centigors, two minotaur units and twin Ghorgons.  This game did not start off well because I got first turn and chose to say "to hell with it" and threw a large Purple Sun that was not dispelled and killed a Ghorgon, a unit of Gors and the unit behind it.  This event caused another unit to turn and flee and go off the board.  I asked if we would like to restart and play without the master mage rules and pretend that 1st round hadn't happened and Chris's response was "naw that's ok, that's how the dice go sometimes".

So the game ended with Chris killing a full 1/3rd of my army until he was finally wiped out.  I had a great time and so the Beastmen  scored their first win of the day.

Game 3 - King of the Hill
Opponent: Jordan Ross of CHOP!
Army: Warriors of Chaos
Game Results: Win

This match up had a rule that at the end of the game there were bonus points for controlling the hill in the center.  I fought yet another Warrior of Chaos army, this time he had a Sorcerer using Lore of Heavens.  I was surprised by this choice but it served him very well.  The game went very smoothly, we were selecting our charges wisely but in one turn Jordan lost 2 units and I was able to wipe out a good portion of his army and scored a win.

So the great thing about team CHOP! was that every time one of their club did something well, they would stand up and shout CHOP! and the rest of the team would shout it right after.  I had a great game and look forward to seeing more shirtless drunken Canadian wrestling in the aisles next year.

 Game 4 - The Road Warriors
Opponent: Greg Matthews of Da Mommas Boyz
Army: Ogre Kingdoms
Game Results: Win


This match up had  a road going down the center of the table edges connecting deployment zones.  The goal was to have as many units in your opponents deployment zone and on the road as possible.  My hat's off to Greg for doing what I do for all my lists which is name every unit and keep that theme going.  His entire list does not have a single entry that isn't named.  Bravo Greg!   This game Greg got screwed by panic tests, there is no other way to say it.  First turn his Yhetees charge the Ghorgon, lose and flee. The Yhetees then flee through the leadbelchers who then flee through Ironguts, Ogre Bulls and the Maneaters.  So at the top of turn 2 I have several units just disappear due to charges and etc... I did not like that his army was plagued by bad leadership and offered to restart our game but I have to say that Da' Mommas Boyz are excellent sports, Greg like his teammate Chris declined and said "It's just how it goes sometimes!"  He still proceeded to kick ass with his 3 giants.  This list was fantastic, I really enjoyed playing it.

Game 5 - Blood and Glory!
Opponent: Tycho Carlsen of Da Mommas Boyz
Army: Vampire Counts
Game Results: Win

This match up was a modified Blood and Glory where Monsters also granted you 1 Fortitude.  This game was a grind fest, every unit was severely reduced by the end of the game.  Minotaurs had the Doombull, my Bestigors had 11 left and the Gor horde was down to 18.  I tried to cast Purple Sun like 4 times and never got it off and the one time I did Tycho dispel scrolled it.  I shook my fists at the heavens!  In the end I managed to kill enough banners in his army to illicit a win at the bottom of Turn 5.  I got to see the full power of a fully functional Mortis Engine.  I also now regret not having a way to kill it sans spells from far away!
In the end I had a great time and Tycho was  a great opponent.

I ended up playing three games with the Wood Elves this weekend as well, all three games I was pretty bombed but pulled out a 2-1 record.  Lost to Moses Jones's of the Put a Skull on it club Dwarves on Friday night - while Moses contends that that game shouldn't count I will beg to differ.  I was sober enough to carry the army without mishap henceforth sober enough to play!  I scored a victory against Andrew Clafin's Dark Elves of the Mongering Mongrels, that was a blast!  Finally, I can't remember my last opponent's name but he was a daemons of chaos player and I defeated them at the bottom of 4.

This was such a wonderful weekend and I look forward to doing it again next year!
Here are some images of the event and my team!:
First off here is Team Tourettes!:

Left to Right: Jeremy, Larry, Jimmie, Eric (in back), Neil, Darron, Tom and John (me).

I'm going to link the Ordo Fanaticus gallery here as well as posting some of the pictures I took that turned out well.
Ordo Gallery












This is part 1 of what will be 2-3 parts of the OFCC 2012 Fantasy pictures.  I'll do one or two more updates showing some of the "better" pictures as well as more galleries once they are put up by my team mates or other Ordo members.

Thanks!

2 comments:

  1. I can tell mostly what the armies are, can you list what the armies are though? Amazing, especially the base on that Lizardman army!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In the images listed, you've got Dwarves, Warriors of Chaos, Dogs of War (yes! we had like 3 DoW armies!), Warriors of Chaos, Wood Elf, Wood Elf, Lizardmen, Ogre Kingdoms, and my Beastmen. I'll post a few more pics in a moment detailing what armies are shown. Not all my pictures came out very well.

      Delete